Phil Spector

<<Speaking of Phil Spector...what was that "wall of sound" concept
 that I always see in references to him?
 Sven F. Weil >>

This doesn't answer your question but is relevant to radio and the recent
discussion:  I heard Phil Spector interviewed once and he said he mixed songs
in the 60's so they would sound good on AM car radios.  He wanted songs to
sound good the way most people would first hear them.  Others used techniques
that would sound good in the studio or on the best stereo system but would
not translate well to the mono radios found in most cars at the time.  I
always thought that was brilliant.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine