Re: IMUS OUT AT WEEI

In a message dated 7/9/99 2:33:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Chuckigo writes:

<< so it's ok to embellish on the news of the day by dropping in rumors?  or
starting them?  >>

Yes.  It's done in sports, politics and business new everyday.  Part of good
journalism is analyzing events and providing readers with what insiders are
saying.  Do you get as worked up when there's an article speculating about a
sports coach or player about to be fired or cut?  If the reports come from
sources that are usually accurate then I belief Johnson has a responsibility
to his readers to report the information.

Two weeks ago, the Casco Bay Weekly reported that Jim Crocker would be
replacing Dave Winsor as the co-host of the WGAN Morning Show.  The story
actually hit the streets while Winsor was doing his last show but before the
move had actually been made.  Was this idle speculation?  I think not.  The
story was based on good sources and turned out to be true.  I'm sure Winsor
didn't like reading about his firing in the paper before it actually happened
but it comes with the territory.  I'm also sure he had already heard the
rumors and was not surprised when the ax fell.

Casco Bay Weekly has also reported that the new owners of WBLM and WCYY will
be bringing Howard Stern to town.  This story would also lead to someone
losing their job.  It remains to be seen if the story is true but the rumor
is rampant in radio circles.  Is it wrong to report it?  I don't think so.