Re: WTBS (Was: 1957)

>What sort of power was 'TBS running, and from what location, in 1972-73?
>Those were the years I was listening to "Night Owl" regularly.

It was still only 10 watts from the transmitter, but by then the Tx had
been moved to its current location(*), the top of the "Hotel Dracula",
oops, make that the Eastgate building (30 story married graduate student
housing tower, located near Kendall Square).  At 295 feet above average
terrain, the signal was no doubt improved significantly just from height
alone...

(*) Well, strictly speaking, it's the tower and the antenna upon it
that are in the same location.  The old 10 watt transmitter resided
in a small closet just off the stairwell leading to the roof; that closet
now holds the equipment for W242AA, the WGBH repeater on 96.3.  When WMBR
upgraded to class A status in 1979, the station's equipment moved to a
larger closet on the top floor.

- -Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu