Channel 5 starting date

I just checked the calendar charts and found that in 1957, Thanksgiving
came on 28 November.  I was in 7th grade at that time, and we had a
half-day of school on the day before Thanksgiving, and I remember
some conversation in school about the fact that "Channel 5 came on last
night."  That means the start date had to be 26 November, which was
Tuesday.

Because of the delay in starting the station, I would turn on the TV
every day when I got home from school to see if it was on yet.  That
day, I turned it on and found a test pattern on.  The steady tone was
interrupted every so often with an announcement that "This is WHDH-
TV Channel 5 in Boston" and the fact that they were conducting tests.
Programming began in the evening, just before the evening news.

A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                   617.367.0468
15 Court Square                                lawyer@world.std.com
Boston, MA 02108-2503                 http://world.std.com/~lawyer/