Re: 1957

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, A. Joseph Ross wrote:

> I remember at the time having trouble receiving WHRB in Bedford.  I didn't
> understand such things that well in 8th grade.  I knew from the newspapers
> that a station was there, but I couldn't receive it.  Once, I got WHRB
> just barely at 107.1.  When I called the station to ask about it, they
> said it was because of interference from WBZ, and they were going to move
> to 95.3 soon.

WHRB only ran 90 watts when it signed on, and its transmitting antenna was
on top of Dudley Hall, on the site of the present Holyoke Center in
Harvard Square. By the summer of 1967 they were up to 250 watts from
Holyoke Center itself, and in the fall of that year they went stereo with
3 kW, but horizontally polarized.  They didn't add circular polarization
until 1980.

Bedford was quite a stretch for WHRB even in the seventies; almost all the
station's program guide subscribers lived in Boston or Cambridge, as I
recall.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com