Re: Boston Netw. Radio Affil.

- -- [ From: Robert W. Paine * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

 Music From Studio X was hosted on WOR by John A. Gambling (John the 2nd
, as it were) and was heard from 9 PM to 1 AM weeknights and possibly
Saturday evenings. WOR spent thousands of dollars constructing the (then
) high-fidelity studio, and each album cut was played once; that is, the
physical record was played once per cut then presumably another copy was
used for the next playing.

 Regarding Boston radio, I asked Bill Hahn if WNAC carried NBC in the
mid-50's. His replies that he doesn't remember an NBC affiliation but
that it could have been but he would guess it might have been for a
relatively short period. He's not really clear on that because he wasn't
at the time into that end of things, so it could have occured.
 Is it possible that NBC could have made arrangements with more than one
station in Boston, much the same as with TV stations that have two
networks. My understanding is that one net is designated the primary
affiliation, the other is the secondary. There are three stations that
did or still do that. One is WAGM-TV 8, Presque Isle ME (may have
changed call?). The two remaining are in Salisbury MD, where WBOC-TV 16
(CBS) and WMDT-TV 47 (ABC), did and may still share NBC as their
secondary.
 Perhaps NBC had two (or more?) Boston outlets - one the primary, the
other(s) taking whatever the main affiliate didn't want or couldn't
clear time for.
 NBC Red and Blue had two (or more) categories for its stations and
affiliates in the 30's and 40's. The two classes I remember were the
Basic stations - NBC O&O or leased & operated, and other stations that
were generally always sold as a package, and Supplementary stations.
Those seem to have been stations like WLBZ, Bangor, WNBC, New Britain-
Hartford, and others in what smaller markets. They could be added to the
Basic network according to the sponsor's wishes. I think there was
another designation but I can't think of it just now (operating on two
hour's sleep). Perhaps I'm thinking of the arrangement of earlier
mention: two stations, one market, right of first refusal-type deal.
Some stations had NBC Red or Blue, or CBS and a secondary affiliation
with Mutual.
 Does WBZ 1030 still have several network services?