t: Echo..echo.. (was: Boston...)

Sven Weil wrote,

SW> Well...my cousin has a reverb unit hooked up to his massive
SW> component stereo system that if you set it at a low to moderate
SW> setting (about two notches on the control) it makes the sound coming
SW> out of it seem even more impressive - like it was in a bigger room
SW> instead of a tiny railroad flat bedroom.

Shawn Mamros commented,

SM> And what would you do with any guests on the show?  Put reverb on
SM> their voices too?  That would sound annoying.  But without it,
SM> you'd have a disturbing disparity between the host's and the
SM> guest's voices.  And what about callers?

Bill O'Neill replied,

BO> With new digital technology and just a practically unnoticeable
BO> "hint" of reverb, it can give the sound fatter presence.
             <snip>
BO> If it is used, it should be on the chain, versus selected mics.

Exactly.  The point is to give the *whole station* an air of
omnipresence--like the station operates in an auditorium or (given the
natural accomodation of the illusion) that the reverb originates from
the deep recesses of the speakers, rather than a closet-like, 2x4
"padded room".
Peter George's recording of WVBF's flashback montage into WCLB is an
excellent example:

          http://www.reelradio.com/pg/index.html#wvbf93

As a bonus--though, I believe, created/enhanced by the recording, rather
than the actual, on-air signal--it deliciously drowns in heavy,
"hypnogogic" compression (especially pronounced with Dale Dorman's
segment, around 5:10-6:00).

     ~Kaimbridge~