Re: Boston Network Radio Affiliations: 1950's and 1960's.

On 16 Jun 99,  Joseph Gallant wrote:

> Thus, WCOP succeeded WEZE as the Peacock's Boston radio roost sometime in
> late 1965 or early 1966.

I don't remember that, but I was out of town in college at the time.

> Supposedely, NBC started using a black-and-white version of this logo on
> TV--and in stationary, advertising, etc.--in 1953, unveiling the color
> version that December when the FCC approved the NTSC standard. I have
> heard that when FCC approval for NTSC came, NBC television interrupted
> regular programming for a news bulletin, then showed the color chimes (as
> a slide) as the first full-color image transmitted on the NTSC system by
> any television network following the official FCC go-ahead.

The catlog for Leland's Howdy Doody auction in October 1997 claims that
the Howdy Doody Show of 26 June 1953 was the first network color show
ever.  The color version of the test pattern with Howdy Doody's face in
the middle was introduced that day.  (I hear it sold for over $13,000 in
the auction.)

> One other note--does anyone know exactly when WEZE started it's "Easy
> Listening" music format? Was it when the call letters changed in December
> of 1957?

No, that came a year or two later.  That was when WEZE stopped carrying
most NBC shows other than news features (and possibly Groucho Marx).  When
they first became an NBC affiliate, they cleared most network shows, and I
used to like to listen to Monitor.  For some reason, I never tried to
listen to Monitor on WJAR.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/