Re: Yankee Network and Mutual

On 8 Jun 99,  Donna Halper wrote:

> I believe it was David who mentioned his reasearch on Mutual and when the
> Yankee Network first began carrying their programmes.  According to
> Broadcasting (1 July 35), up until June of 1935, Mutual had no ability to
> send programming to stations other than their original outlets.  But in
> June, they began to make arrangements with other stations, and one such
> arrangement was made with the Yankee Network.  According to the story I
> found, on 29 June 1935, the Saturday Night Concert of the Philharmonic
> Symphony Orchestra was fed via WOR to the original affiliates, but also
> this time it was fed to the Yankee Network.

As I recall, even in the late 1950s, local Mutual affiliations were from
the Yankee Network.  I remember once calling WLLH to ask why they had
dropped Mutual, and they explained that, like a number of other stations
in New England, they got their Mutual through the Yankee Network, and when
the Yankee Network dropped Mutual, they lost it, too.  It was never clear
to me why they couldn't pick up a direct Mutual affiliation, but I suppose
it was a matter of money.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/