A DX q of sorts

perhaps it's me, or all those years of loud rock n roll blasting my eardrums
to pulp, but...
while listening to the am stations on my ride each evening, is there some
kind of harmonic effect at work on a stations signal in regards to the use of
the phone hybrid systems currently employed at most stations?
while listening to the host on mic, the signal is clean enough, but as soon
as the "hybrid" kicks in, while the host and phone are on air simulatneously,
the signal goes to heck... then, while the phone is "solo", it clears up, and
as soon as the host pops in for retort/response, it goes south once again.
spending as much time in the car at night as i do (that 110 mile trip to
boston from south portland every night), i'm well aware of what is just a
signal drop, and i'm fairly familiar with the weak areas of most of the am
sigs we can pick up at night.
the above phenom is most noticeable north of 495 on both WBZ and WRKO.
just curious.

chuck igo