Re: Cumulus Media donates WHQO to Maine Public Radio

Excluding WHQO, which I agree is redundant, what other stations of Maine
Public Radio would you say are totally redudant?  While there is considerable
overlap, I think the majority of the signal of most of their stations serve
areas that would not otherwise have adequate service.

As for Cumulus, they are not being altuistic.  As a public company they have
a fiduciary obligation to their shareholders and I assume they determined
that the tax break they get for donating WHQO to MPR is more than they could
get if they sold the station.  I doubt that the competition was much of an
issue.  The reality is that WHQO was one of the many Class A stations
established during the 1980's that are simply not commercial viable in rural
Maine.

It is also important to point out that while Cumulus dominates the
Augusta/Waterville market in terms of the number of stations, they do not
dominate in terms of ratings or revenue.  92 Moose and B-98.5 are still the
most successful stations in the market.

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine

In a message dated 5/26/99 8:16:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, beckwith@ime.net