Re: WBZ and ABC (was: The Future of WBCN-- Talk????)

<<On Fri, 21 May 1999 17:08:27 -0400 (EWT), Sven Weil <sven@lily.org> said:

>   I've never understood what the hoopla was about certain spoken
> workd formats being on standard broadcast  or FM.

> Can someone please enlighten me?

Because in the recent past (in the post-Walkman era) FM stations were
considered too valuable to waste with spoken-word programming.
However, running a talk or news format on FM may be preferable to
reach certain demographic groups who rarely if ever sample AM -- hence
the CBC's move to put Radio One on FM in as many markets as feasible.

Much as we radio buffs hate to admit it, there's a huge fraction of
the population who simply will not listen to an AM station, regardless
of the quality of its programming.

- -GAWollman

- --