Re: WBZ and ABC (was: The Future of WBCN-- Talk????)

- -----Original Message-----

To: BUMP MARTIN <LJNF40C@prodigy.com>; mamros@MIT.EDU <mamros@MIT.EDU>;
boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
<boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Thursday, May 20, 1999 6:57 PM
Subject: WBZ and ABC (was: The Future of WBCN-- Talk????)

>Bump on WBZ's ABC affiliation:
>
>>They more than likely will as soon as the ABC contract runs out.
>>(Remember, this was a long-standing long-term contract, one that was
>>signed well before anyone could have imagined the current state of
>>deregulation and multiple ownerships.)
>
>From: Bill O'Neill <billo@erols.com>
>
>I'd be very surprised if WBZ radio relinquished its ABC Information
>Network affiliation which is coveted for a number of reasons...

I'll bet they keep the affiliation (and clear the spots), for the reasons
you mentioned...but instead of running ABC's newscast and
featuring/highlighting ABC reporters/talent stable, they chose to run CBS's
newscasts and feature/highlight CBS's stock of talent & reporters.

Maybe less of "Peter Jennings Journal" and more of "Dan Rather's News and
Comment".

BZ gets two products and keeps ABC off of any other Boston stations....

I wonder if ABC will vie for an outlet where theycan be assured to get
"primary" and sole positioning....

I wonder if any other station will make a bid for ABC...so that BZ doesn't
get the corner on the network situation.

BM