Re: The Future of WBCN-- Talk????

At 09:27 AM 5/19/99 EDT, Shawn Mamros wrote:

>Something else to ponder - Mel's association with BCN goes back a lot
>further than his association with either the CBS or Westinghouse stations.
>I don't doubt that he's on a first-name basis with Oedi and the other
>BCN higher-ups.  Think he's just gonna sack them, when they helped him
>get where he is today?  If he did, they'd surely find a place to work
>elsewhere in Boston - and they'd have plenty of incentive to blow Mel's
>stations out of the water, whatever it takes.
>
>I have no crystal ball.  Maybe Mel really wouldn't care about making
>powerful enemies that way.  The only thing I know for sure is that,
>if BCN does flip to "extreme talk", that'll just free up another preset
>on my car radio. :-)

It wouldn't free up any presets on my car radio (don't think I've listened
to WBCN a total of 3 hours my entire life) but I really doubt this will
happen. Mel may be totally bottom-line oriented, but stupid he's not and
this move would be sheer stupidity.  I can't think of a single market where
Hot Talk has been much of a success, much less a moneymaker.  WBCN is
currently both.

Just like the endless speculation on this list of "pending" format changes,
I think this one was just that...idle speculation.