What's In A Name??

Scott D Fybush wrote:

> Speaking of Worcester, we heard from WWFX (100.1 Southbridge)
> GM Craig Della Riva, who wrote in to let us know "the Fox" is more
> "classic hits" than classic rock.

Obviously, the Fox people can call their station whatever they want, but to
me it looks, sounds, walks and talks like a classic rocker.  They have Bob
and Tom in the morning-- their affiliates are primarily classic rock and
AOR's, and the station's imaging is right down that alley, from "rock
blocks" to "two-for-Tuesdays."  To be fair, I monitored the station for 90
minutes--from 9:15pm-10:45pm tonight (Sunday) and here is their playlist.
See if this looks "classic hits" to you..

Aerosmith--"Same Ol' Song & Dance"
Tom Petty--"Don't Come Round Here No More"
Bruce Springsteen--"Born To Run"
Pink Floyd--"Learning To Fly"
Lynyrd Skynyrd--"Simple Man"
Joan Jett--"I Love Rock & Roll"
Santana--"Evil Ways"
AC/DC--"Highway To Hell"
Bob Seger--"Strut"
Deep Purple--"Woman From Tokyo"
George Thorogood--"Bad To The Bone"
Romantics--"What I Like About You"
Rod Stewart--"You Wear It Well"
Stevie Ray Vaughn--"The Sky Is Crying"
Golden Earring--"Radar Love"
John Mellencamp--"Hurt So Good"
Foghat--"Fool For The City"
38 Special--"Fantasy Girl"
Fleetwood Mac--"You Make Lovin' Fun"
Rolling Stone--"She's So Cold"

Out of these songs, 4 were top ten hits on the pop chart in the year of
their release according to my Joel Whitburn book.  Those were Joan Jett,
Santana, John Mellencamp and Fleetwood Mac.  Five others (Petty,
Springsteen, Stewart, Golden Earring and the Stones) did chart top 40.  The
other 11 NEVER CHARTED!!  However, all these songs DO have one thing in
common--they al get played, at one time or another, on CLASSIC ROCK
STATIONS!!  Seems to me that the Fox people are simply trying to
differenciate themselves in the market.  The Bus uses the "Rock Classics"
moniker and WZLX calls themselves "Boston's Classic Rock."  I guess they
got to call themselves something.  How about "Jurassic Rock?"  Any
thoughts...??

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Mediabase 24/7