RE: Market Research

> One song that is WAY overplayed is Brown Eye Girl by Van
> Morrison, that was
> a so so hit in 1967 but not worthy of the airplay it gets 30
> years later.

Amen to this Kevin.  Please excuse my term here, but I call those songs
"girl songs."  I blame its appeal on the Julia Roberts film "Mystic Pizza."
What I mean by "girl song" is when I would put it on at a party in college,
the girls would perk right up.  Another one is Meatloaf's "Paradise By The
Dashboard Light," which thankfully is too long to play for a lot of
stations.

> WJMK in Chicago maybe ( with the possible exception of
> WCBS-FM) does the
> best job I have heard of doing oldies in a major market.

CBS-FM is one of a kind.  Yes.  Some stations broadcasting on the internet
have shown me there are a handful of stations out there that remember more
than just a couple of hundred songs.  A lot of people are hoping CBS-FM will
also be in real audio - me included.

> Maybe someday, somebody will at least try.

One such station in New Jersey with real audio on their site, WGHT, is run
by a gentlemen who was sick of owners and programmers telling him what songs
to play.  The general range of years is 1965-1985, and anything is fair to
play.  I complemented them on the overall "sound" they have created, and
even the DJ that I liked wrote me back.  She works there because of that
playlist freedom.