Re: Market Research

>When people claim "I want a radio station with more
>variety", the stock answer is "Research shows that
>trimming the playlist usually yields higher ratings".

If Station "A" plays the 100 most popular songs for a specific demo
group....

And Station "B" plays the 200 most popular songs for that same demo group...

Which station do you think will have more listeners?

Keep in mind that every time Station "B" is playing a song from 101-200....

Station "A" is airing a song that is MORE popular....

>When people ask "Why are they not playing: 'list of
>songs that were popular in the past'?", the stock answer
>is "Research shows they don't 'test well'"

Case in Point....

....."Ballad of the Green Beret".....VERY popular song in it's day.

Very irrelevant today to listeners....and NO ONE wants to hear it today.

It's not simply a question of how "popular" a song was in the *past*...

It's how relevant that song is to people *today*!.

>"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say
>America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make."
>-- Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields' Cookies.

Thank God there are people who can spot when research is flawed!