Re: Disco History

In a message dated 4/5/99 10:03:42 AM EST, dmerrill@exchange.com writes:

Here's the order of things in the Disco World of Boston:

1978:
WBOS, while lame with its easy-listening format, let Ron Robin do disco music
at night on all weeknights.   By late in the year, or very early 1979, the
station switched to all disco.

Feb/Mar 1979:
KISS-108 was born at midnight going from WWEL to WXKS and within 6 months,
took most of WBOS' listeners.

Summer 1981:
(2 years LATER), Vinnie, while still having association at KISS, took over
the format
at WNTN, calling it the "Daytime Nightclub".  It stayed pure disco while Kiss
started mixing in non-disco contemporary music.   Meanwhile, WBOS went to a
soft-rock format, much like Magic was at the beginning.

1984:
WNTN wandered off the disco beat and increased more local public affairs
programming and ethnic programming, after only showing a tiny speck of
ratings with the disco.

<< e switch to Star.  His
 tradition with dance music in this city is long standing.  I believe he was
 the PD or MD with WNTN in Newton when they were the first "disco" station in
 town.  They beat the switch of WWEL to WXKS (Kiss 108) by a year or so.  I
 am unsure of whether WBOS was "Disco 93" before WNTN though  >>