RE: Union rules affect talk show (fwd)

- ----------------------  Forwarded Message:  ---------------------
From:    Dan.Strassberg@worldnet.att.net
To:      Bob Nelson <bluesradio_99@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Union rules affect talk show
Date:    Tue, 06 Apr 1999 00:13:00 +0000

CFTR has _nothing_ to do with WRKO's current night
pattern. The only two stations that were on 680 before
WLAW (which eventually became WRKO) are KNBR in San
Francisco (the dominant class A station on 680) and WPTF
in Raleigh NC. I think that WLAW's pattern. which is now
WRKO's night pattern, was designed to protect WPTF, KNBR
(which was then KPO), and first-adjacent CBF. Although
CBF is gone, no relaxation of the pattern is likely for
a whole bunch of reasons. The Montreal allocation must
still be protected and there are many stations to the
west that have sprung up in the meantime and must be
protected. CFTR is only one. A closer one is WINR in
Binghamton NY. There is also a 680 in Baltimore that has
applied for increases in day and night power.

WRKO's patterns are symmetrical about the 75-degree
azimuth of the towers. Moving the towers around or
constructing new ones is most unlikely because the TX
sits atop the Town of Burlington's water supply and the
town is reportedly not amenable to any changes in the
use of the land.

Given Entercom's strong aversion to spending money on
anything, I'd rank the likelihood of their trying to do
anything to improve this situation as very close to
zero. Even if WRKO had fallen into the hands of Jacor,
which has shown a strong interest in improving its AM
signals, I doubt whether anything would be done because
nothing much can be done. Aside from a poor night signal
in MetroWest, WRKO has a truly outstanding signal
everywhere else in the market day and night.