Re: Question/comment/A Civil Action (Was Re: Question/comment)

>        It's grim to see even the largest corporations eliminating pension
>plans. You mention instability, but with fewer and fewer companies left in
>the business, CBS might be figuring that its liability may go up in future
>years as larger numbers of people actually stay with the company, although
>perhaps at different stations, long enough to become vested.

Even in "healthy", competitive industries, old-style pension plans have
largely gone the way of the dinosaur.  401(k) plans and such are far
more commonplace.  I'd be highly surprised if CBS didn't have a 401(k)
plan in place.

- -Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu