Re: Would you believe Falmouth to Freetown?(was:Re: Sunday on

Dan Strassberg said:

> Mark: This one looks good. Liu also owns WPAT 930, and 1430 _could_ diplex
> with 930. The 930 site in Clifton is in a much better spot from which to
> cover the New York metro than is the site of the current 1430 sticks in
> Union. WPAT has four towers; WNJR has only two, so using the 930 antenna
> system to create a pattern that would work for 1430 (and would probably even
> allow a power increase) looks to be relatively simple. Moreover, the WPAT
> towers, which are top-loaded, are electrically 225 degrees at 1430. 225
> degrees is the generally accepted limit on how high you can make AM towers
> of conventional design without running into problems with the station's own
> skywave interfering with the groundwave. Whether this upgrade gets done or
> not would seem to depend almost entirely on how much money Liu is willing to
> spend on 1430. He hasn't been known to be a free spender, but the ROI on
> this upgrade looks favorable. He could probably get the work done for under
> $500k and the station's value (stick value alone) should increase by several
> times that figure. One possible problem--I don't think the Clifton site is
> compatible with keeping Newark as the COL. The locals in Newark might
> protest and tie him up forever at the FCC and in the courts.

According to published reports, this is exactly what Liu is planning on
doing, moving WNJR's transmitter to Clifton and hooking it up to WPAT's
antenna. As for the locals in Newark tying him up inthe courts,
considering the condition  of that city and the state of mind of most of
its denizens, I don't think they'll miss it, or even know what hit them.
Frankly I don't even think they know that they have a radio station in
their back yard :)

- --
Sven Franklyn Weil            "The needs of the many outweigh
<sven@lily.org>                          the needs of the few
<http://www.lily.org/~sven>                      or the one."
                                                     -- Surak