Re: WMEX/WITS/WMRE

- ---Scott D Fybush <fybush@world.std.com> wrote:

> 1989-1991 - WKKU
>
> I can date the start of WKKU pretty well as being the summer or
> early fall of 1989.  It was WKKU country when I made my arrival
> at Brandeis in Jan. 1990.  Bruins p-b-p at night, and the AM stereo
> music sounded pretty good.

You left out an almost-sale to Merv Griffin Enterprises in April '89.
WSSH/WKKU were going to be bought for $39 million in the announced deal.
Noble backed out of the deal two months later. In 1993, Granum
grabbed WSSH for $18.5. Noble paid $19.5 for WSSH-FM in 1986 and $3.7
for AM 1510 in 1987.

> 1994-97 - WNRB
>
> October 1994: Noble does a deal to sell 1510 to a Spanish
> group, then changes its mind and sells to Communicom instead.
> Court battles ensue.  Fun is had by all.  Communicom emerges
> triumphant and flips 1510 to religious; the WNRB calls are
> announced but not a reality until Feb. 1995.  1510 is
> temporarily silent after bad flooding at the Waltham site in
> 1996; this was the only time I was ever inside the tx
> building (I drove over to gawk at the damage and see the foot
> of water inside the transmitter).

That's semi-correct. The case never went to trial. As the result
of an out-of-court settlement, Noble turned off Talk AMerica in
the fall of '94 and began airing Spanish programming(free of charge)
until  late January '95 when FCC blessed the deal. At that point,
Communicom began broadcasting religius programming....

> 1997-date - WNRB

December 18.