Re: WMEX/WITS/WMRE

Dan Strassberg dispensed these pearls of wisdom:

> I don't know. I suspect not. When the station went dark for six months or so
> before the sale to Communicom (and the change in call sign to WNRB), it
> definitely did do a finale show; I remember listening to Hilary Stevens and
> Dana Hersey on my drive into work on the last morning. But I don't even
> recall the call letters at the time.

I suspect Dan's usually-infallible memory is a bit off on this
one.  There was a long silent period after WMRE -- but not followed
by Communicom and WNRB!

> (and returned as WNRB), I don't know either. Maybe someone will research
> this and post a chronology of 1510-Boston calls with dates (probably going
> back to pre-NARBA days when what is now 1510 was 1470). Donna? Scott?

I'll let Donna handle the early Pote and Richmond days.  Here's
my recollection, working from just before my arrival in Boston:

1976?-198? - WITS
198?-1987 - WMRE

There was a period of darkness post-WMRE; I remember that much
from visiting Brandeis as a high school senior in late 1987-
early 1988 and noting 1510 silent during a dial scan.

1988-1989 - WSSH

The first WSSH-AM; this one, if memory serves, was an adult
standards incarnation.  Maybe Bill O'Neill can fill in
the gaps here -- but I think this happened not long after
Noble bought WSSH-FM and moved it from WLLH in Lowell down to
Woburn?

1989-1991 - WKKU

I can date the start of WKKU pretty well as being the summer or
early fall of 1989.  It was WKKU country when I made my arrival
at Brandeis in Jan. 1990.  Bruins p-b-p at night, and the AM stereo
music sounded pretty good.

1991 - WSSH

The second WSSH(AM) incarnation, still under Noble.  (This may
even be late 1990.)  My fuzzy recollection is of *some* non-
simulcast programming, but most of the day was // 99.5.  In
Waltham, the AM stereo signal on Wish sounded way better than
the FM from Andover.

1991-92 - WSSH

Hello leased-time!  "Radio Continentale" takes over and 1510 goes
Espanol...until Continentale fails to pay the bills and 1510 goes
dark sometime in late '92.

1993-94 - WSSH

The last Noble-owned format; leased-time Talk America talk fills
the 1510 airwaves.  I have airchecks of some of the shows; this
was the Todd Feinberg morning-talk era, I think.  Had WSSH-FM been
sold by this point?  I want to say yes.

1994-97 - WNRB

October 1994: Noble does a deal to sell 1510 to a Spanish
group, then changes its mind and sells to Communicom instead.
Court battles ensue.  Fun is had by all.  Communicom emerges
triumphant and flips 1510 to religious; the WNRB calls are
announced but not a reality until Feb. 1995.  1510 is
temporarily silent after bad flooding at the Waltham site in
1996; this was the only time I was ever inside the tx
building (I drove over to gawk at the damage and see the foot
of water inside the transmitter).

1997-date - WNRB

The One-on-One era.  This was the first 1510 format change
*after* my departure.  I can't hear it on my toaster
anymore....

- -s