Re: Gotta love Joyce..

On 15 Mar 99,  Bill O'Neill wrote:

> A very telling bit is that AFTER Joyce's initial battle with cancer in
> 1979 , WBZ TV hires her and provides her with "retroactive health
> insurance to cover her surgery, and promoted her to arts reporter."
> This line stopped me short and made me wonder how many businesses today
> would go that extra mile for an employee, particularly in this industry
> where maximum hours - short of full-time benefits - seems to be the
> rule, not the exception.

I think that employers generally were more generous about things like
that in 1979.  For one thing, the cost of health insurance hadn't gone up
to crisis levels in 1979.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/