Re: what they did in college radio

At 02:02 AM 3/12/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Anybody on the list go to college with anyone who ended up on the air in
>Boston (or greater New England) radio?  Several folks I know from
>Northeastern, where I went to college, ended up on the air or even owning a
>station...

According to a friend, both of us went to college with Charles Osgood. This
friend (who is now a group radio station owner in central New York), says
that, back then, Osgood was known by his real name, which is Charles Woods
(or Wood). Apparently, Osgood did not want to use his real name on the air
and used his mother's maiden name as his air name. Now, if the story is
true, I would have known Osgood at RPI in the '50s. I was in the class of
'56 and Osgood was supposedly in the class of '55. I was very active at
WRPI, which was then a campus-limited carrier-current station. My friend
tells me that Osgood was also active at WRPI, but I have no recollection of
him whatever. Moreover, my friend tells me that there were two Charlie Woods
who were active at WRPI at the same time. If I remember either of them, I'm
sure that the one I knew (not all that well) was the other one. I kind of
half remember a guy named Charlie Wood (or Woods) who was bright and able
but who did not have even a good radio voice, much less Osgood's outstanding
pipes.

The part that puts this whole story into question is that I saw a bio of
Osgood recently and it claims that he is an alum of Manhattan College (or
maybe it was Fordham). In any event, it was a Catholic school in the Bronx
(where I am from). According to the bio, Osgood has a daughter who went to
the same college. So unless there is an error in one or more of these
stories, I'm not sure the whole thing adds up. Then again, Osgood could have
gone to RPI as an undergrad and gone on to Manhattan or Fordham for a
graduate degree.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205