Re: The Mighty 730

<<On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:15:18 -0400, mwaters@mail.wesleyan.edu (Martin J. Waters) said:

>         FYI, The last time I checked, last year, CHCM, 740 kHz, Marystown,
> NF, was repeating VOCM most of or all of the day. And sometimes at night
> you can get CHCM in New England, as it occasionally comes in well enough
> that you can null out Toronto. That is, if you're not too close to the
> thunderous mega-milliwatt night signal of WJIB.

Last time I heard CHCM was one memorable night a few years ago.
WJIB's night transmitter had gotten fried somehow, and I spent the
early morning hours one day shivering in the 'JIB hallway with Peter
(George) and Scott.  (Grammatical aside: the previous sentence is an
example of why the serial comma should never be elided.)  Peter had
hooked a coil of coax up to WJIB's 235 feet of steel, and we used
inductive coupling to connect the Big Antenna to our radios' little
ones.  Since the antenna was tuned to 740, we spend some time
listening to CBL, and then waited for them to sign off.  Goodbye
Toronto, hello Marystown!  (We were really interested in getting
Mexico, but CHCM was too strong and the antenna too omnidirectional to
get anything interesting.  940 was a different story.)

- -GAWollman

- --