RE: 105.7 WROR Palying the Hits of the 60's and 70's

>The other day, I sent an E-Mail to a few members of this list about
>WROR's changes, and my opinion that I think another shoe is about to
>drop.
>
>For the benefit of the rest of this list:
>
>I feel that WROR's move to drop 1980's music from their format is
>not the end of the changes that will happen there.

80's this not test well at all in the latest  WROR  auditorium music tests,
in fact they were not liked at all.

>I have noticed that about half of the music they play in a typical
>hour is R & B/soul/Motown of the 1960's and 1970's.

Not really, for example, this past Sunday afternoon when I was on(4P-7P),
perhaps only 25% was R&B.

>I personally think another show is going to drop, and that "other
>shoe" will be the elimination of pop and rock hits from the 1960's
>and 1970's, leaving only the R & B/soul/Motown hits of that period.
>
>Given how "Jammin' Oldies"-type formats have taken off in some other
>cities, I can see Greater Media taking WROR in that direction. This
>might also be a great "pre-emptive" move against the possibility of
>Chancellor Media (or whoever swallows them up---like Clear Channel?)
>purchasing some other Boston stations (read: the local Entercom
>group) and switching one of the acquired FM stations (read: Eagle
>93.7-WEGQ) to "Jammin' Oldies".
>
>Besides, as an all 60's and 70's "oldies" format, WROR won't be able
>to make much of a dent against WODS-103.3 (unless they can hire away
>Dale Dorman from WXKS-FM, make our own J.J. a full-timer, and lure
>Bruce Bradley back to Boston and regular air work again).

Thanks for the thought, however, Dale is VERY content with where he is now.
His next move would be to move to Maine, NH or Vermont and do  syndicated
shows from his private little retreat(studio), in fact he is all set up to
do just that allready, his Saturday shows on KISS are from his home,
everything except for the spots.  Dale and I talk often about the end of
our Boston careers.  For me, just ain't no shifts(full-time) available for
me there (Greater Media).
So I'll just continue to do my little "Soulful Saturday" (jeez sounds an
little like 'jammin-oldies to me) Show.

>Of course, with our own J.J. in PM drive (assuming Loren & Wally stay
>in the mornings after such a format shif, otherwise, J.J. in the
>mornings) would make WROR as a "Jammin Oldies"-type station even more
>successful!

Loren and Wally are doing just fine, they would be successful no matter
what music they are playing. Remember, 105.7 was country for a while, and
they drew the same numbers. People listen to Loren and Wally, simply for
Loren and Wally. As for me on PM drive, I think that Dan Justin has a lock
on that, other-wise I would have replaced Martell.  But I can dream, can't
I?

J.J.