Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 3/5: We Will Never Make Fun of Boston Weather Again...

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Douglas J. Broda wrote:
> I've never thought an advisor at a college station should ever be choosing
> formats... and I've heard of it happening (at least, through subtle
> persuasion). If, as has been suggested, this is a format the students like,
> great... though even at a small school like Siena, there's enough diversity
> that I'd rather prefer a variety of formats getting air. I mean, it's not
> like ratings are supposed to matter. :)

While I agree with you that advisors should not be choosing formats
(assuming it's not the college that holds the license, but the student
organization), I think a case can be made that ratings do matter inasmuch
as they provide a way to demonstrate that the station's audience is being
effectively reached.

I've heard several radio professionals lament that college radio
experience is of little value in the real world because at most college
stations one doesn't learn how to attract and hold an audience. Diversity
per se achieves little, in my opinion, if no one listens.

My -17db$.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com