Re: WNRB wins Pats show from WEEI

I really think that we haven't seen anything yet from these penny
pinchers
from Philly. The 'RKO-'EEI sale just closed at the end of
January(combined
pricetag - $82 million). I agree with Kevin's earlier post, I would
expect more activity at 116 Huntington Ave. as far as
hiring/firing/replacing of talent and programming changes go.

Entercom is pretty revenue-conscious opeation. I'll just give you a
couple
of examples in the last fre months :

1. November '98  -- Much to the dismay of local fans, Entercom
fires 25-year radio voice of Kansas City Royals Fred White. He
reportedly
made $160,000 a year. In December, Entercom hires 27-year Ryan Lefebre
to replace him. The youngster without any kind of major play-by-play
experience(does AAA count?)
will earn $120,000. His MTV-like, hip style is expected to deliver
better ratings and more advertisers.

2. Februay 1 -- Entercom's  KIRO AM 710 in Seattle, files a
lawsuit in King County Superior Court seeking more than $ 5 million
in damages from former Seattle Seahawks owner Ken Behring.  Entercom
is seeking the money from Behring for KIRO's losses in advertising
revenues following the attempted
move of the Seahawks to Southern California in 1996
Ironically,  Entercom  didn't even own the radio station when Behring
threatened the move. (Entercom bought KIRO in early '97)
The date of the suit is also important -- it was the last day before
the statute of limitations would have expired.

Personally, I think Entercom will be acquired by a bigger fish
somewhere down the road. Maybe even this year. All they're trying
to do right now is to have a very 'lean' balance sheet so that the
company looks very attractive to any potential buyers. Unfortunately,
they're going about it the wrong way and p.o.-ing  some regular
listeners in the process.

The greedy Kraft family also wins Nobel Prize for stupidity. One-On-One
operation is showing the signs of imploding at any moment. 1-on-1 just
sold their Chicago signal to Radio Unica and is down to three O+O
stations,
including 'NRB. They could've pitched the Bledsoe/Carrol shows to
Infinity stations such as 'BCN or 'ZLX. 'BCN already has a working
relationship with the Krafts. I am sure they could've arranged for
some sort of a Patriots show on a Monday evening.

- -Mark