Re: Buying NBC

I think Uncle Mel has something more up his sleeve than
is first suggested by his announcement of interest in
buying NBC--even if it means overpaying. NBC is owned by
General Electric, the company that has--I believe--the
largest market capitalization of any company on the New
York Stock Exchange. GE also has a reputation for having
the smartest financial management in America. CBS is
head-over-heels in debt.

What that means is that CBS, which itself has been
rumored to be for sale, could probably only offer its
own stock to GE in exchange for NBC. The result is that
if CBS "acquired" NBC from GE, GE would in effect own
CBS (or would own a large--most likely controlling--
stake in CBS).

Such a deal just might prove very attractive to GE CEO
Jack Welch. If Welch thought that by "selling" NBC, GE
could wind up controlling two of the three largest TV
networks, he might go for the deal. And Karmazin might
see himself in a position to succeed Welch, who is
approaching GE's mandatory retirement age. I think
Karmazin's ego knows no bounds, and he probably believes
that he could run GE. Karmazin may be a smart guy, and
he has proven himself, above all, to be most adept at
feathering his own nest. But Mel Karmazin is no Jack
Welch.