Re: tape delay is a good thing

Donna Asked:
.not all stations even now delay such calls.  Do any of you have any stories
of something bad or something unexpected that slipped out over the air?
..something that really happened to you, and what you did about it...?

Ron:
We never had tape delay (or tape), but...

I put my former GM on the air as he demanded I take "his" call-in show off the
air due to not being able to work out a business deal with the new GM/Owner. It
was a Radio Auction Show. I got highly peeved that he took such an angry tone
with me on MY show (he later apologized and said it was meant for the new GM).
I didn't have a call screener or other assistant to field the calls. I'm the
only one who showed up on time (or at all) aside from the weeday morning guy.
Once it was all said and done the former GM sure sounded like a horse's rear
end!! he he... happened to catch it on tape. Shortly afterward our play-by-play
football announcer really aired his (and sponsor's) long list of differences
with the same guy. As the prodcer, under new management, and having recieved my
last paycheck from the old GM, let it air, including during the game's
rebroadcast the next day. <big grin>

Ron Gitschier
(then) WQAI 1570
Nr Jacksonville, FL