Re: Susan Wornick

- ---Kevin Vahey <kvahey@channel1.com> wrote:

> WCVB used to be the class station in Boston, but Friday's events
proved that
> is no longer the case. Susan Wornick has a strong following with
women in
> this area and I expect a backlash over the way she was forced out of
the
> station.
>
> One wonders if the recent court settlement in Hartford with a former
anchor
> has anything to do with Hearst's hardball stance towards Susan. In any
> event, local TV has suffered yet another blow.
>
> We now live in a market with NO local programming except news and
sports.
> This is where robotics has hurt the over the air product, but the bean
> counters no longer care. What they do care about is Channel 7 has
done well
> with the faceless anchor...and this does not bode well for Liz,
Jack, Chet,
> Natalie and Lobell.

I think Radny Price deserves better than to be
called a "faceless anchor". He's done some
solid work for them in recent months and it shows
in the ratings. In the January period, 'HDH
was #1 at 5pm and 11pm. And, they were 1 rating
point behind 'CVB at 6pm. We'll see what results
all-important February sweeps bring....but I have
a hunch Ch.7 will rule evening and night newscasts
and Ch.4 will also keep improving while Ch.5 is on
the way down...

It's kind of surprising that they chose to let Wornick
walk with 'take-it-or-leave-it' offer of around $300K
considering that Ch.5 enjoys the most substantial
lead during noon news over 4 and 7. Wornick+Boyd won
the last 40 rating periods. Not a small accomplishment.
But it's also surprising that Wornick acted like
a primadona and feeling all insulted that Hearst wouldn't accept a
counter
offer. Maybe she has another offer on the table from
Fox25 which has been rumoring a new midday newscast.

- -M