Re: News As Promotion?

- ---Joseph Gallant <notquite@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is it only me, or has TV news, especially on the local-station level,
> become more of a tool to promote entertainment programming broadcast
> by that particular station??

That's what promotions dept. lives for -- sweeps month.
During sweeps, especially in February, the locals always
try to boost the lead-in for the 11 o'clock newscast.

But talk about trying to put a nasty negative spin on the competition,
Ch.4's(CBS o+o station) reporter must've mentioned NBC name ten
thousand times
during a 2-minute piece on John Hancock's pulling out its Olympic
endorsements in the light of the recent bribery mess.

- -M