Re: Hour long 6PM newscast...

Some network-owned stations are actually offering LESS
local news. I was just up in Burlington, VT and I
noticed that ABC affiliate WVNY-TV 22 had re-runs of
MASH on instead of a local 6 pm cast, and a short
(5 min.?) news update at 11 pm followed by some sort of
"Entertainment Tonight" type show. Maybe they figure
they can't compete with the local newscasts on the
CBS(Ch. 3) and NBC (Ch.5) affiliates.

As in many cities, Burlington's  Fox affiliate is on UHF--WFFF Ch. 44,
and I don't think they have news either. In major cities like Boston,
the Fox affiliate could do well with a newscast, but some or most Fox
stations probably don't bother. So... how do you think
they'd welcome the idea of a 30 minute network
newscast (especially when ABC, CBS, and NBC already
offer one?). They'd probably pre-empt it anyway for
a "Home Improvement" rerun or something.

Are 30 minute network newscasts "rounding third"?
Well, with cable news channels, news radio, and the
Internet around for national and world news coverage
and commentary, we'd have to wonder if ANYONE is
watching Brokaw, Jennings, or Rather.