Re: Article on WYAR

Steve:
    Hate to tell 'ya, my friend, but I have been in both
non-commercial and commercial broadcasting for over 20 years and have
personally seen how formulated this business has become.  And no, I am
not some "radio geek" who only wants to broadcast programming to a
select few people in my block.
    It is been said that radio listenership is down.  I wonder why ?
People are tired of the same "tried and tested" 300 songs playing over
and over and over again.  They are tired of the same "vanilla" pablum
being shoved down their throats.  I love college radio.  I am still
involved with three stations at this time. Admittedly, it can be too
wild at times for some people.  But it hits a forgotten niche market.
Local radio, for the most part, has become staid and relies on the
"bird", too much.  Local LPFM can be the answer.  It's relatively
inexpensive, hits a forgotten niche audience and can truly provide
local programming like the type I mentioned in my original posting.
    In the past I have worked on-air in both college and commercial
stations. I am currently a broadcast engineer for several AM and FM
stations, TV master control operator and a licensed ham radio operator
(K1XRB).  I could put one of these LPFM "babies" on-the-air in a
matter of days, with proper FCC clearance.
    When I do get my own LPFM, and YES.... I totally plan to do just
that.... I would like to personally invite you down and see what local
broadcasting is all about.  Betcha you will be pleasantly surprised.

73 de K1XRB

Peter Q. George

> Judging by this post, my guess would be that you have never worked
in a
> real radio station, ie one that exists as anything other than a
hobby to
> someone. Who would actually listen to such a station?  A few radio
geeks
> with no life outside of listening to weird radio and maybe the owner's
> mother.  What, pray tell is "the best music in stereo, the likes of
which
> no conventional programmer would ever dare touch"?  Give me a break.
 This