Re: Article on WYAR

     I tend to disagree on the idea that the one man operation is "not
what the public really needs".  That's hogwash.  I would like to apply
for one of these stations myself and would plan to be an exceptional
operator. My intended station would NOT be pre-programmed by some
hotshot "radio-doctor" in L.A. or New York.  Heaven knows we've had
enough of that.  I would use a somewhat modified "Bittner approach" as
"a totally locally programmed and operated" station.  Local people
want to hear LOCAL schoolboy sports programming, the town meeting,
local news and information. I would even let the high school kids get
in the act from the school, live during the day.  I would provide the
best music in stereo, the likes of which  no conventional programmer
ever dare touch.  My playlist, unlimited.  If it flows, it shows. And
yes, I would even play stuff I personally would not like but others
would enjoy.  Liners, forget 'em.  "Ten in a row with no talk".... get
real.  People need to hear a human being, not some guy from the bird
saying "98.9 Country.......at twenty minutes past the hour...this is
your favorite station.... right here.....".
     You give me 10 or 100 watts, I could bring some good local
programming to my community.  Sure it would NOT be number one.  But
people will notice that somebody out there is listening to THEM (the
audience), and not some hotshot consultant from 3,000 miles away.
     I look forward to hearing these local FM's hit the air.  It's
about time somebody, other than the beancounters, got a chance to
serve the local audience.

- -Pete

- ---Dib9@aol.com wrote:

> The article is by former, long time radio news veteran Al Diamon.
It talks