Re: WLLH:Home of Ameriacn Popular Standards

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Bill O'Neill wrote:

> There really aren't many options left.  One could try (or buy the
> calls): KAKE "Cake 101.5, Eat it All".  No, maybe WIPT "Whip It"
> Washington/Wilmington/(any other W adi).  Nah.  KUBE "The Cube - All
> Dilbert Radio/Radio for Dilberts/How's Your Tie Hangin'?".  Nope.
> KLIP  "K-Lip 102.7 Talk"  (That could have a shot - great billboard
> possibilities, esp. if Calista Flockhart is available.)

In Salinas, California, where I worked in the mid eighties, there was a
"K-Tom", a "K-Don", and a "K-Ray". I never found out who Tom, Don, and Ray
were, even though I was chief engineer at KDON for almost two years, but I
imagine they must have been the original owners of the stations. Across
the valley there was "K-Wave", whose original calls had been KHFR (that
stood for Ken's Hi-Fi Radio). And in Monterey there was a Class IV AM
called KNRY which we all referred to as "Canary", although it was actually
named for the street it was on: Cannery Row.

AM's out there had huge signals because the ground conductivity was
excellent. KNRY's transmission line ran across the street to a pier on
which the tower was built; the ground system consisted solely of a rod
in the bay. It was a far cry from New England, where you have 50,000-watt
AM's that no one can hear but which get into Sweden and Holland at night.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com