Low power FM discussion

I just read the article someone mentioned on Boston-Radio-Interest about
LPFM stations on the nandotimes website, and I would like to give my insight
to commercial broadcasters being fearful of these new LPFM stations (if they
go through) giving added interference and competition.

I live just outside of Albany, N.Y., and I am so disgusted with local radio
in my market that I now only listen to a weak to fair signal of a classic
rock station in Poughkeepsie while I am in the house, or a weak oldies AM in
Bennington, Vt.  If some of these local stations are angry about having
added competition, then maybe they should try to be a little more exciting
with their programming.  I'm sick of hearing "Brown-Eyed Girl" on five
stations in this market.  Sick of hearing automation on all but five
stations in our market at 3 AM.  I'm sick of calling into a request show on
a local station (which I think some can figure out) and can't get a song
played from 1971 because "we don't play any '70's on the request show"
(funny, I remember hearing three other songs on their request show that
Billboard says all charted in the early '70's).  They just wouldn't play
"Put Your Hand In The Hand" because it didn't research well.  And I'm sick
of hearing twenty stations all talking at the same time about some inane
topic on the radio in the morning.

To get to my topic, I hope LPFM goes through.  If it could add more local
programming on our dial, I would be happy.  Radio is no longer a public
medium.  It is a medium for some folks to fill their pockets.  If it's going
to be that way, then I don't know why I'm even still interested in radio,
and I don't know why anyone has a license for a radio station (that doesn't
include WJIB, WJTO, WQQQ, and WMEX, if Bob Bittner or Dennis Jackson are
reading this).

Gavin Burt