Re: Cross-promotion/billbaords

>Why would a business that spends so much time, effort, and $$ telling
its
>clients that radio is the best method of advertising then go out and
spend
>hundreds of thousands of dollars on billboards?

Perhaps, because "best" does not equal "only."  My point is that
business owners are asked to take a risk with cash on radio evertime
Herb Tarlick darkens their door.  Radio can demonstrate risk-taking,
as well, by putting down cash on other means.  Promoting your station
on your own air can be very much like preaching to the choir beyond
the beneficial reinforcement of station image and identity.

Billboards--a advertising
>medium with no ratings, meters, or devices to indicate the reach and
frequency
>of its message.

"Honk if you read me!"  Would that fly? <g>

>Does anyone believe billboards work?

Only if they are done 'right' and are time-limited to the space.
Longer flights can be an annoyance to this driver.  The former WBZ-TV
headshots board was effective, early on, but became wallpaper after a
while.  I "recall" the former WCGY billboard heading north on 93 after
the upper deck that invited listeners to tune in, like a "welcome to
our contour", if you will.  I've seen board in other cities with
characatures (sp) of their talent versus headshots.  I like the idea
of keeping the true identity of the jock somewhat unclear.  Personal
choice.

Bill O'Neill