Re: WXKS AM city of license

In a message dated 98-12-10 19:46:48 EST, OnAir4U@aol.com writes:

>> When did WXKS AM change its city of license? It used to ID itself as WXKS
>AM
>> Medford....

The change was in March of 1985.  Cause of the change was that the new night
signal (Previously a daytimer only) did not cover half of Medford.  FCC rules
at the time was that the station must cover ENTIRE city of license with 5.0
mv/m signal strength.  Since they chose not to change the tower site, and
since signal beamed northeast,  the easiest thing to do was to change the city
of license, and that they did.    I was there at the time as OM of WXKS-AM.
My top-of-hour ID helped soften the blow:   "This is 14-30, WXKS Everett-
Boston, with studios in Medford."

- ---jibguy