Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 12/11: Big Apple's Big Changes, and, We Visit The Midwest

At 05:54 PM 12/11/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Oh yeah, that other Fort Wayne AM:  WOWO (1190) seems to be back to
>50kw nights for at least a little while.  Its day signal is still
>solid for miles and miles, and was listenable as far out as Dayton and
>Cincinnati.  New morning guy Dave Macy was entertaining, too.  After
>dark, there's nothing WOWO offers that would be of particular interest
>to distant listeners these days -- a minute of local weather once an
>hour, no local news, satellite-delivered talk, barter spots, and
>that's about it.

In fact, Scott, most of the spots that I hear on WOWO overnight don't appear
to be bartered. I don't know whether they're _given away_, but there are a
_lot_ of _local_ spots--usually three at every break in the Joey Reynolds
Show. If WOWO is actually selling these, I'd have to say that WOWO is doing
a better job of selling out overnights than any AM I've heard in a long,
long time.

As for the AM 1090 in Ft Wayne running to 7:15 in December, it sounds legal
to me. I doubt very much whether Ft Wayne is within the 0.5 mV/m 50% skywave
contour of either WBAL or KAAY. Therefore, as a daytimer, the Ft Wayne
station is entitled to stay on until two hours after local sunset at reduced
power. This is the same rule that allows both WJLT and WRPT to stay on two
hours past local sunset.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205