Re: Predictions for 1999

At 12:51 AM 12/6/98 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 98-12-04 10:43:43 EST, billo@erols.com writes:
>
>> A better set of books for WBZ TV, for all the subtle reasons (better CBS
>>and more Jack).
>>-  One less local stand-alone AM.
>>-  More 'salsa' to spice up the market.
>>

>OK, on his predictions for 1999.... on the one less standalone AM..
>Hmmmmmm... Which one do you think it'll be?   Choices are:
>
>WUNR,  WJIB,   WILD,   WROL,   WNTN.
>  (For sure, WJIB & WNTN will not cash out in '99).
>NOW, does 590 COUNT? (a stand-aone by definition).

Do suburban-Boston stations count? They should, since, of the stations
you've listed, only WILD and WROL are licensed to Boston. Also, does WROL
count? Carter has a substantial group, even though WROL is his only signal
that does much in Boston. If your definition of a stand-alone AM in this
market includes stations owned by groups that have only a single property in
the market, you've left out WNRB. And if you include suburban stations, WKOX
seems a strong bet to make the prediction come true. Moreover, if my
suggestion of diplexing 1200 with 1510 is feasible (I thinks that means if
1200 can operate with 50 kW from 411 Waverley Oaks Rd without encountering a
problem with WLIB on Cape Cod), 1200 would become one of the better Boston
AM signals, With syndicated talk programming (Liddy, Joy Browne, Bob Grant,
Leykis, Bohannon et al), 1200 could probably have a measurable effect on
WRKO without incurring exhorbitant programming costs. Despite Bill's
prediction of Entercom cashing out, I can even imagine Infinity (that is,
the former CBS) and Entercom in a bidding war for 1200, with the final price
topping $10 million.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205