Re: Will News/Information In Morning Drive Soon Vanish from Music Stations?

Interesting subject.

I don't know how much music they'll add but GSM will be
smiling as the spot load gets increased by a unit or two.

But then again, in a major market with one or sometimes
two all-news signals, do you really need to have news
update/reports(in-house or customized) on a music station during AM or
PM drive? If you're a GM, you already know that you will have an
automatic audience drop-off at the top and the bottom of the hour as
everyone punches in a news station(s)for top stories and traffic. You
might as well do without news.

In the AM-drive thesedays, music FM's are heavy on 'lifestyle' and
entertainment updates. Real news is mostly just headlines(one or
sometimes two sentences) anyway.

If I was running a music station, I wouldn't even bother getting news
from Metro or Shadow. Just traffic and weather, please. News is not
really their specialty and it shows in their updates. For example,
Metro Networks in most markets doesn't even subscribe to wire
services. What they refer to 'published' reports' comes directly from
your morning paper or the Web. They often buy news reports from local
TV stations because they don't have their own street reporters.

- -M