Re: Re: Donn Tibbetts

At 08:05 PM 11/30/98 EST, you wrote:

><<At 09:52 PM 11/29/98 EST, I wrote:
>
>>But he got his start in broadcasting at WKBR 1250
>>Manchester in 1949.
>
>In a message dated 11/30/98 7:12:57 PM, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net wrote:
>
>It was WKBR 1240 in 1949!
>>>
>No Dan,
>	You are wrong.  I doubled checked my Granite & Ether:A Chronicle Of NH
>Broadcasting book again, and WKBR has always been on 1250 AM since sign on in
>1946.  Ed Broudeur wrote this book as I believe he is a member of this news
>group as well.  1240 was awarded to WFTN in Franklin, NH in the early 50's.
Sorry, Gary. YOU are wrong! I will stake MY LIFE on the fact that WKBR was
on 1240 when I first came to Boston in 1956. I distinctly remember when WKBR
changed frequencies. It was positively AFTER I arrived in Boston. WFTN first
signed on after WKBR moved. I don't know what year WKBR was GRANTED 1250.
THAT may have occurred EARLY in the 50s. The construction may not have taken
place until long after the initial grant, however. WFTN may indeed have been
GRANTED shortly after WKBR received its grant for 1250. In fact the FCC
might have made two grants simultaneously. But unless WFTN began life on
some other frequency, I do not believe that WFTN SIGNED ON until after WKBR
changed frequencies. And that was no sooner than the MID 1950s. My guess is
that it was in 1960 or later. So, if you folks at WFTN think you know when
the station first signed on, you might be wrong. If you've already
celebrated the station's 40th anniversary, you may have unwittingly
celebrated the date on which the CP was issued.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205