Connecticut trip notes

This past Thanksgiving I made my Obligatory Familial Visitations to
Connecticut and of course spent some time tower-hunting and whatnot.
A few things I noticed:

- - Boy does channel 30 look like an NBC O&O now!

- - Cox Cable Southington still carries channels 2, 4, 5, 9, and 11 out
of New York.  Why don't their local affils insist on the network
exclusivity they're entitled to?  In particular, why doesn't NBC have
4 yanked given that they own 30?  The same system carries 'SBK, and it
was blacked out every time I looked.  WWOR was not (and it didn't look to
me like the satellite feed).

- - Channel 18 was running home shopping.

- - With every AC and CHR in the state playing it, it was possible to
hear the new Jewel song every fifteen minutes...

- - How long until NBC completes its collection of east-coast O&Os?
Surely they will eventually figure out how much Ansin's price
is... and that would give them everything from Washington to Boston
with one exception.

- - I was able to drive right up to the channel 8 site on Gaylord
Mountain in Hamden.  So far as I could tell, there's no sign of 'KCI
and 'PLR having moved, unless they're hiding under the radomes at that
weather-radar site.  Unfortunately, no such luck with 'YBC on West
Rock or channel 65 on East Rock; the roads leading there were closed
when I visited.

- - The former WXZR studios on route 12 in Groton still have the ``Z
Rock 98.7'' sign out front.  How long has that place been vacant?

- - When I visited the former WWJY, I found a real surprise: there were
not six but SEVEN towers standing there.  There were three completely
new towers (apparently the ones they had proposed to use in their
earlier application) and four of the old ones.

- - If Connecticut College has a basketball team, its players could do
pull-ups on one of WCNI's bays.

- - Who was this bizarre fellow who kept on building Connecticut AMs on
rocky hilltops?  Couldn't anyone bear to tell him that AMs want to be
in swamps?

For the record, here's the complete photo log:

WPRI-TV tx:195 Homestead Ave., Rehoboth
WNAC-TV/WWBB tx:33 Pine St., Rehoboth
WJAR/WSNE tx:89 Pine St., Rehoboth
WELH tx:Wheeler School Athletic Facility, Seekonk
WSKO tx:King Philip, Dexter Rds., E. Providence
WPMZ/WHJY/WBRU tx:Eastern Ave., E. Providence
WRIB tx:Water St., E. Providence
WRNI tx:1110 Douglas Ave., N. Providence
WWLI tx:Neutaconcanut Hill, Johnston
WPRO-FM/WSBE/WLNE-LP tx:Neutaconcanut Hill, Johnston
WRIW-LP tx:Beck Hill, Scituate
W252AS tx:Fenwick St., West Haven
WNHU tx:University of New Haven, West Haven
WYBC (1340) tx:Front St., West Haven
WAVZ tx:Spring St., West Haven
WAVZ tx:Thill St., West Haven
WELI tx:Radio Towers Park, Hamden
WELI/WKCI/WAVZ st:Radio Towers Park, Hamden
WELI ex-st:now day-care center, Radio Towers Park, Hamden
WTNH/WBNE tx:Talmadge Rd., Hamden
WHPX tx:SR 85, Montville
ex-WWJY st/tx:Foster Rd., Waterford
W233AG tx:Walden Ave. public housing, New London
WCNI st/tx:Connecticut College, New London
ex-WZXR ex-st:244 Route 12, Groton
WSUB/WQGN-FM/WNLC tx:Briar Hill Rd., Groton
WTYD tx:Gay Hill Rd., Uncasville
WNPR/WEDN tx:194 Bishop Rd., Bozrah
WCTY tx:off SR 32, Montville
WICH tx:forgot the street name, Norwichtown

That comes to about $100, not including the film.

- -GAWollman

- --