Re: Bruce Bradley

At 12:56 PM 11/28/98 -0500, Kevin Vahey wrote:

>1967 changed everything wih the advent of WRKO....WMEX became a nothing
>player and WBZ started to drift. FM was starting to pick up steam in the
>burbs and with college students in town, and WBZ couldn't decide if it
>waned to be a Boston station or a New England one (it chose the
>latter)...and then when it shifted into a more MOR format, they found that
>WHDH had skewed itself more for a younger audience.

Indeed, WBZ sounded very lost for many years after they dumped the Top 40,
segueing from an almost-rock song to the Mills Brothers.  I have a tape of
someone, Robin Young, I think doing overnites in the mid-ish 70s, and have
no clue what they were trying to do in that daypart....the music mix made
no sense at all.  However, it was WBZ that took the biggest hit from
WRKO...WMEX, despite the lousy signal was hip and young-sounding, while
WBZ, even though they were a bit more progressive musically, had sort of
AC-ish sounding jocks. Somewhere I saw a printout of the summer '67 book,
and WRKO came out on top (of the 3 Top 40s), followed by WMEX and WBZ
dragging up the rear.  It was shortly after this book that 'BZ started
moving away from rock.

>Bruce was a Boston Radio Legend.....seriously do you think anybody will be
>talkig about any present radio people 35 years from now?

Probably not, but we're talking very different eras...audienceds are much
more fragmented and with music having moved to FM, you're limited to what
is within a 50 mile or so radius...no FM has the influence of the old AM
clear-channel blowtorches.