Re: Bruce Bradley

At 12:01 PM 11/25/98 -0400, Martin J. Waters wrote:
>        There was a long article, maybe three or four years ago, about
>Bruce in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, which I once looked up. (You can get
>it on their website, although I think you have to pay a fee to read the
>article.) It basically was not a happy story and he didn't sound like a
>vary happy man. The article, done after he left KMOX, had some stories of
>serious family and financial difficulties.

I read that article.  I think he lost his job at KMOX due to something he
said that was percieved as racist, and caused a bit of a stir in the
community.  It might have been on a St. Louis tv station that he made his
remarks.  What a sad ending for someone of whom I was a big fan when he was
on 'BZ (though, from the impression I got from someone who was familiar
with things at WBZ back then, he was a bit difficult to get along with even
back then).

>        Either in that newspaper article or another, though, there was a
>bright spark when he talked for a moment about his WBZ days. He was quoted
>as saying, in sort of a combination of pride and of amazement even all
>these years later, that in one summer ratings book his show was not only
>No. 1 in Boston, but "No. 1 in Baltimore."

Yeah, I heard that he got a 50 share in Baltimore at one point.  At least
he didn't have to worry about competing with Arnie down there!