Re: WHIL/WWEL

At 11:12 PM 11/23/98 -0500, you wrote:

>I know what a transmitter is (I think!), but what's an exciter?

I believe that it's actually a little transmitter with low power
output--just enough to drive a final power amplifier that normally drives
the antenna by way of a coupling network. When the final power amplifier is
off, if the signal from the exciter leaks through to the antenna, you have a
low-power radio station. Indeed, I believe that many of the Class-D (10W)
noncommercial FMs and probably not a few of the FM translators use exciters
as their transmitters.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205