Re: Northern New York radio observations

Several months ago, I was in the Burlington,VT area.
In my motel room, there was a phone-book/ shopper's
guide for both sides of Lake Champlain, and I flipped
through it. In the "radio" section was a big ad for
a station run by Native Americans (uh, "First
Nations"?) on a reservation in Quebec. Judging by the
ad (I couldn't pick up the station), they were
aggressively marketing their station for listeners
and advertisers in the US and Canada. I think the
station was around 105 or 107 FM...If I'd been
closer to the border, maybe I could have picked it
up.
There are probably more than a few stations run by
Native Americans in the US-- I remember seeing some
sort of TV news bit about such a station in the
Dakotas. (By the way,the term "Native American" can
be a bit misleading. Technically, if one is born
in the US, doesn't that make him/her a "native
American"?)

- ---"Gavin B. Burt" <prospect@email.msn.com> wrote:
> Well, on to a more positive listen in the area.  CKON (97.3 FM,
Diversified)
> is the St. Regis Indian Reservation station, and is apparently
licensed to
> Akwesasne, Ontario
and were a delight to listen to.  I can almost say that
> they were the best listen of all the stations that were coming in
there.
> Funny the best radio has to come from a sovereign state, and not
from the
> U.S. or Canada.

Are radio stations on such reservations subject to
follow FCC or CRTC regulations? I'd imagine they
at least licensed by those authorities...