RE: WHIL/WWEL

At 10:08 PM 11/21/98 -0800, Peter Q. George wrote:
An interesting story about WHIL ("Will-power Radio")
>was that when the FM station shut-down for the night at midnight, the
>on-air studio was used for production purposes.  Their clanky old
>transmitter had an exciter that still radiated for a couple of miles.
>It was allegedly common for the production director to use expletives
>whenever he "messed-up" a production take. It made for some very
>interesting radio.  An all-night diner in Medford tuned into the
>station regularly for some rather "blue" entertainment.

I don't suppose any airchecks of this exist.

At one time WTBS/WMBR (forget which it was at the time) was the same
way...turning off the transmitter just turned off the final...the exciter
stayed on & radiated for a mile or two.  If someone forgot to take the
board off airchain feed, it made for some interesting listening, too.